Risk Factors for Hospitalization due to Lower Respiratory Tract Infection in Preterm Infants on Palivizumab Prophylaxis

AUTHORS

Mehmet Yekta Oncel 1 , * , Sema Arayici 2 , Gulsum Kadioglu Simsek 3 , Erhan Calisici 4 , Omer Erdeve 5 , Nurdan Uras 6 , Serife Suna Oguz 7 , Ugur Dilmen 8

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

How to Cite: Yekta Oncel M, Arayici S, Kadioglu Simsek G, Calisici E, Erdeve O, et al. Risk Factors for Hospitalization due to Lower Respiratory Tract Infection in Preterm Infants on Palivizumab Prophylaxis, Iran J Pediatr. 2013 ; 23(6):693-700.

ARTICLE INFORMATION

Iranian Journal of Pediatrics: 23 (6); 693-700
Published Online: November 22, 2013
Article Type: Research Article
Received: January 29, 2013
Accepted: June 14, 2013

Crossmark

CHEKING

READ FULL TEXT
Abstract

Objective: To determine the risk factors associated with lower respiratory tract infections (LRTI) related hospitalizations in preterm infants receiving palivizumab throughout the high season for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection. Methods: Premature infants who were commenced on palivizumab prophylaxis during the RSV season were included in the study following parental consent. Information on demographic, social, prenatal and postnatal clinical characteristics was recorded and risk factors associated with hospitalization were evaluated for each patient. Findings: While 234 participants (Group 1, 92.8%) did not require hospitalization during the study period, 18 patients (Group 2, 7.2%) were hospitalized at least once for LRTI during the RSV season. The rate of moderate-severe bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) was significantly higher in group 2 compared to group 1 (38.9% vs 16.2%; P=0.016). Of the 18 infants who were hospitalized, 6 (33.3%) tested positive for RSV while the remaining 12 patients (66.7%) were negative for RSV. Odds ratio (OR) analysis of several risk factors revealed the presence of BPD (OR: 3.28; 95%CI: 1.19-9), being from a family with low socioeconomic status (OR: 3.64; 95%CI 1.08-12.3) to be associated with a higher likelihood of LRTI-related hospitalization. Conclusion: Our data demonstrated that RSV is an important LRTI agent and cause of hospitalization especially in preterm infants with additional risks such as BPD, gestational age of <28 weeks and low socioeconomic status. We suggest that improving care conditions and decreased BPD with prematurity would help in prevention of LRTI hospitalization.

 

Keywords

Respiratory syncytial virus Lower respiratory tract infection Risk Factors Preterm Infants

© 0, Author(s). This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.

Fulltext

References

  • 1.

    References are available on the PDF.

  • COMMENTS

    LEAVE A COMMENT HERE: